TCP Requests

Assisting you with your ROW permits

By Scott Shaver - April 12, 2023

The image here shows typical traffic control closure types outside of the generic full road closure. When you submit a plan request, it helps us to know what type of traffic control you are looking for. If you are unsure, do not worry, our Planning & Permitting Coordinator, Luke Mauser can help determine the correct closure based on the type of work you will be doing and some minor details about your work area.

Some of the details we are looking for are:
  • Project Address, Cross Streets or Coordinates nearest where the project will take place.
  • Work area of which you wish to shut down for your project.
  • What your company specializes in.
  • How much additional space (if any) will you need?
  • How long is the project expected to last?
This will help us find your project area on our mapping program so that we can get the best data to provide you the most recent and correct traffic control based on the most current lane alignments for the area you will be working at. 
Work Area:
This will be which lane(s) you are planning on working in. Will you need the sidewalk closed? Depending on what your company specializes in you may need multiple types of closures all in one plan. For a crane operation, it is important that we close down the sidewalk where the crane will be lifting materials over so that in the case of an emergency a pedestrian does not get injured or worse. On the other hand, if you only need Manhole access in the right lane of a road with multiple lanes in the same direction, we may not need to shut down the sidewalk. If we know you will be excavating a deep hole in extreme proximity to the travelling public, we may need to plan for concrete barriers as opposed to the typical channelizing devices. 
This tells us how to design your traffic control based on the area you are working in. If you are doing a vertical bore (drill) for earth remediation, less space will be required than if you are doing a horizontal bore for utility placement in which we would need to provide space for a bore pit as well as the long machine that will be doing the drilling. The more we know about what you do (and what this project entails) the faster that we will be able to produce a traffic control plan.
Additional Space:
If you will require additional space for employee vehicles or specialized equipment, please let us know so that we can plan for it in your TCP. This will help the public utility engineers in the jurisdiction you plan on working in what to expect with your project and exactly how it will affect the travelling public. If you are doing work on a narrow residential road and only want to close the shoulder / parking lane, you may need to partially park on the sidewalk. Some juridictions may be perfectly okay with this, while others might have weight restrictions on the sidewalk requiring a different type of closure.
Time Frame:
This will also help us determine the best traffic control to use for your situation. On a long-term traffic control project, we may need to use concrete barriers to contain your work area. Likewise, some projects where you only need access to a manhole for 5-10 minutes may be better set as a mobile closure so that you are not waiting for 30+ minutes for your traffic control to be set up for a minimal project. For a sewer repair in a residential neighborhood, you may need a One Lane Road for the day, however a company running aerial fiber across a street may only require a couple of flaggers to stop traffic before moving to the next location.

In every case, letting us know how you would like us to tackle your project will help us get your plan out the way that you expect it to work so that your Right of Way permit is approved the first go-around.

If you have engineering CADs, Google images with highlighted work areas or .pdf's with notations on where you are planning on working and what you are doing, that will also help us out. As they say: a picture is worth a thousand words. You can send us traffic control plan requests directly to us via email or by submitting via our online form here
Go Back